"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." -Anton Chekhov

Monday, June 8, 2009

Graduation (and other things)

Okay, so yesterday I graduated high school. People make a huge deal out of it, and until recently, I had no idea why-- I mean, isn't it more of an achievement to graduate college? But yeah, I guess I didn't really think about how big of a transition this is compared to switching schools in the past. Going into elementary school was kinda scary, just because I hadn't been to school before. Then my transition to middle school was kinda uneasy because I was nervous about remembering locker combinations for the first time (I had three that I had to remember, too: my regular locker, my band locker and my gym locker). Then going into high school I was nervous I'd get lost, because my high school was so much bigger than my middle school or my elementary school. In the end, though, these worries are very trivial, and I basically got over these fears on the first day. Plus, my family and friends were there to support me. Now that I've graduated high school and I'll be going off to college soon, I'll be all on my own for the first time in my life: no parents or siblings to support me, and not even my friends will be there for me, since we're all going to different schools. My friends and family won't be too far away, since I'll be going to college in-state, but I'm still anxious about all this. Sure, college will be awesome-- if I'm able to make some friends there, and not miss my family too much. I don't want to be the college student who comes home every weekend because she doesn't want to hang out with people from her college. I want college to feel like home to me... though that might be hard with the 15'x10' room that I have to share with another human being. It's a difficult time right now, but one thing that's keeping me going is that I got through tough transitions in the past, and I'm able to laugh at my foolish worries, so I hope I can laugh about this later. 
Aside from that, my grad party is in less than a week, and my dad chose this time to remodel the whole kitchen. Well, he actually says that he's not remodeling the kitchen, he's just:
  • replacing the floor
  • painting the walls
  • staining the woodwork and cabinets
  • putting knobs on all drawers and cabinets
  • replacing the countertops
  • changing the lighting
  • replacing all the large appliances
Yeah, he's definitely not remodeling the kitchen. Anyway, all this non-remodeling is driving me nuts. My dad's been sanding the cabinets and everything so he can stain them, and the sawdust has gotten into every nook and cranny in the entire house. That makes for a whole lot of daily dusting. And wood stain smells nasty... but the new floor is in, and that looks really nice! I think it will look really good when it's all done, but I kinda doubt we'll get everything done in time. Especially since my dad dismembered our deck this weekend, and is apparently intending to rebuild that before the party as well. Let's just say I've been spending a lot of time at Lowe's lately.
Anyway, I should probably do something constructive today, since I have basically just slept all day. Until next time, dear readers!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on graduating high school! It's a rite of passage more so than college because as you will see you kind of grow up after this. In a good way. It's more independence; more freedom.

    Your dad's non-remodel sounds stressful and hilarious. My sympathies! Hope the air has cleared in a week.

    Welcome to blogging!

    ReplyDelete