"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." -Anton Chekhov

Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Week in the Life

Whew! It's been quite a week. 
We managed to get everything done in time for my graduation party (well, basically everything-- we still had to fix one of the light fixtures and do a couple other small things after the party). The party went very well, by the way! A bunch of relatives I vaguely recognized were there, as well as my closest friends, and even a couple of my teachers (Mr. M, for example, whom I had as a teacher for all 4 years of high school). It was funny to see all these people from different compartments of my life interacting with each other. Never in my wildest dreams would I think my English teacher would be playing corn hole with my youngest brother, but it happened nevertheless! My great aunts were chatting with my neighbors, my grandparents were talking to my friend K., who's a rebellious artist, and many other strange exchanges went on. It was really fun, though-- the cake my mom ordered was delicious, as was most of the other food; the company was pleasant; and the graduation gifts were plentiful. I got over $1,000 in cash/checks, then I got a couple gift cards and a couple material gifts.
Monday, my mom (who's a teacher), my siblings and I stayed at home and did nothing. It was well-deserved after that week of hard work. I feel kinda bad that my dad still had to go to work, when he had probably worked the hardest out of all of us.
Tuesday, I had a golf tournament. My high school coach MC-ed the event, so he invited his team (alumni included) to participate. I played with two of my friends from the team, as well as a coach from a neighboring district. We played pretty well, and had a lot of fun-- we scored 82 on 18 holes. Of course, the group that won the tournament was a bunch of male coaches, who scored 56 on 18 (jeez!). Then, on the way home, my car started smoking... it appeared to be the air conditioning unit, so I drove home without using it (I just rolled the windows down). Then I got a little lost on the way home, so it took me roughly 90 minutes to get home instead of the 40 minutes it took me to get there. That evening, I felt extremely tired, though I shouldn't have been, because I'd been in a golf cart the whole day. I thought I might've gotten sick, because my mom had been feeling the same way lately.
Wednesday, I opened my own checking account, which was nice: it really made me feel grown-up. The banker who set me up with it was really cool. He kept joking with me and such, which made the experience more enjoyable. Afterwards, I bought my new purple iPod nano, which is pretty much amazing! My iPod mini died out of old age this March, so I've been iPod-less for a few months. 
Thursday, I played golf again, with a couple of people from my high school team and my sister. It was pretty fun, but I didn't play as well as on Tuesday, obviously. We didn't keep score, and I'm kind of glad about that.
Yesterday, my mom and I hosted my sister's cell group (a bible study connected with my church who also does fun activities). We had a teaching on Esther, then we saw Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian, which was quite good (I liked the first one as well).
Today, it's my parents' 22nd wedding anniversary, as well as my church's carnival (in benefit of an inter-city school that my church sponsors). My mom made my dad a mix CD of popular songs from the year they got married (1987), and my dad got my mom a bouquet of flowers. They're also going out tonight alone, while I watch the kids (sigh). The carnival should be fun as well: our family is in charge of the popcorn and corn hole booth (two things we enjoy very much!). 
Tomorrow's Father's Day, and I don't really have anything planned... I mean, I picked out a card at CVS last night (in which I wrote a really cheesy haiku), but I don't really have a gift for him. My father and I aren't exactly best friends, either. Hopefully I'll think of something and not have to go with my back-up plan: winning him a "Walking With Jesus" beach ball from our corn hole booth at the carnival today. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment