"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." -Anton Chekhov

Friday, June 12, 2009

The Remodeling Saga Continues....

It's been like Trading Spaces at my house for the past week!
Last night, I stayed up until 4 am helping my dad with our kitchen cabinets. Everyone else had gone to bed hours before, but we kept working-- we attached the cabinet doors and painted them (about 20 cabinets in all). By the time we went to bed, our hands were covered in green wood stain and we had bits of sawdust under our fingernails from sanding and drilling into the cabinet doors. The picture at left was taken this afternoon. Wood stain sure takes a long time to dry... I hope it's dry by Sunday (that's when my graduation party is)-- it might be a bit awkward if my guests bumped up against the cabinets and got green stains all over their clothing...
The new granite countertop was put in on Wednesday. It looks better than I thought it would-- I preferred a type of granite called "Firenze," which had more green in it than the granite we ultimately chose ("Cloud Nine"). My mom has been obsessing over the countertop... I think my dad should be a little jealous by now. C;
The deck is coming along quite well, too. Two of my uncles and my grandpa came over and basically built it today. We still have to put the fence part around it, but that won't be too bad.
I think we may actually get this done on time. (Hm, I'd better knock on wood to make sure I didn't just jinx myself-- but I'll have to be careful not to touch the (still wet) wood stain!)

2 comments:

  1. That is an impressive amount of work. I would love to paint my cabinets a cream color but I am daunted from even beginning. The kitchen looks beatiful. The color of the granite really complements the dark stain on the cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We've had a lot of help, of course-- I have four siblings, and everyone has been out of school / off work for a week. Still, it's pretty intense. And yeah, at first, I thought, "Would yellow granite really look good with the dark green cabinets?" But it turned a lot better than I expected. :D

    ReplyDelete