"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." -Anton Chekhov

Friday, June 18, 2010

Job Interview

“Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning
metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.”
-Eliza Tabor

Today, I had a job interview at a department store. I felt pretty confident in my ability to do the job that they were asking of me, but I was a little unsure if I was really qualified for it (like, if I had enough experience). But I got the interview, so I figured, "Well, my previous employment information was on the application, so they must be interested in me anyway." So, I head out to the interview this morning, feeling confident, and I walk into the wrong store. Apparently, there are 2 of the same department store where I applied at that particular mall. I felt a little frazzled, but walked to the other side of the mall and found the HR department in plenty of time (and calmed down along the way). The manager who interviewed me seemed really nice, and the interview was going really well. At the end, I'm expecting something completely different than what happened next.

She looks at me, smiling, and says that she's sorry, but I just don't have the retail experience that the job she's hiring for needs, and that she barely has enough hours for the people she has hired already, but thanks for coming in for the interview and maybe I can come back during a busier season for a job. I politely nodded understandingly and thanked her for her time. As I'm walking back to my car (which is parked out front of the other department store), I'm thinking through the interview. Why even ask me to interview if she knew I didn't have the experience she wanted for the job? And moreover, why is she hiring more people when she barely has enough hours for the people she already hired? I was really disappointed. I guess I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up so much...

When I started my car, the radio automatically turned on, and "Airplanes" by B.O.B. was playing. Funny how things like that happen when you really need them to. :) "Can we pretend that the airplanes / In the night sky / Are like shooting stars / I could really use a wish right now..."

Initially, not getting the job was disappointing, of course, but at least I got more experience in interviewing, and know what kinds of questions to expect in my next one. And I've got a solid lead at another store, so hopefully that or one of my other applications sparks something. I could really use a job right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment